PART NINE-Conclusion

 Part nine-conclusion

Biking the Damascus to Abingdon section of the Virginia Creeper is something I have wanted to do for some time and I’m very pleased that I finally made the time to bike it. The trail is not a great adventure, but it was a fun challenge for me. I was somewhat concerned about my worn-out knee joint, but it never gave me any problem, during or after the ride. 

I wasn't wearing these to keep my knees warm!


There are sections of the trail with no cell service, but Millie was able to track me the entire distance. I guess the phone’s GPS was bouncing off satellites during those cell outages or it just used dead reckoning to plot my progress. 



Millie said at times I would go seven and eight miles an hour, but I wasn’t trying to race across. I pedaled at what I thought was a leisurely rate and just enjoyed the journey. I got on the trail at about 9:45 and arrived in Damascus at 1:30.

I had no mechanical problems with the bike until I got to the highway 58 bridge. I had used 4th gear for the entire run until this last little bit when I shifted down to 3rd because of a slight uphill section. While in 3rd gear if I pedaled backwards the chain would come off the sprocket. The derailer must need some adjustment. 

Would I do it again, yes indeed. In fact, I’m already thinking of doing the whole 34 miles in one day. Starting at White Top on a rental mountain bike from one of the shuttle services. I think wider tires are prudent for the downhill portion. I would then switch to my bike and do the second 17 miles to Abingdon. 

34 miles on gravel, sounds like fun to me!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great 2024 Summer Road Trip Begins

Nashville

The Denton Malpass Brothers Country and Bluegrass Festival